Autostar II update failure
Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:31 AM
I tried to update the software version using ASU and the program just went away (closed itself) after about ten minutes. I restarted the software, but it could not see the handbox. The handbox is now frozen at the copyright screen. I used 9-9-9 to get to safe mode. The ASU recognizes the scope (LX200GPS) and handbox version (09a0) but that's all. When I attempt to update, it keeps losing the connection (says to check or change the cable and restart the scope).
I've tried every available baud rate, new cables, and even StarPatch, but nothing works.
Is my handbox dead or is this a sign that the circuit board in the mount may have a problem?
Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:52 AM
I believe to start it in safe mode you press 999 when you power things up .
Ill have to confirm this as I may have it mixed up with the AS 497.
Fife Lake, Mi.
Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:57 AM
PROBLEM UPLOADING NEW SOFTWARE: If your scope crashes or you lose internet connection while you are uploading a new version of software and your LX200GPS scope locks up, you can get to "Safe" download mode by turning the scope on and immediately pressing 999.
Fife Lake, Mi.
Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:06 PM
Im having exact same issue that SBBBugsy had, I can get into safe mode by pressing 9-9-9 and it goes straight to "downloading do not turn off " message and only then will ASU recognize my handbox and will go thru the Updating "sending program" for about 1 1/2 hours . Then once it tries to initialize my handbox it wont detect it says (failed attempt or something make sure handbox is connected) then my hand box reads and stays frozen on the Lx200xxx Version 4.2g .. My scope does not move at all DEAD.
So why can I connect only thru Safe mode but wont update or initialize ?
Operating system Windows 7 ... Going to try windows XP as Joe from Meade said ASU isnt compatible with windows 7.
Thank to anyone thatcan help
Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:21 PM
Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:49 PM
What else is causing my scope not to initialze at all ?? anyone please ..
Thank You all
Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:53 PM
OK - Here are the steps to fix this problem.
"""WARNING""" ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR SCOPE HAS THIS PROBLEM (09a0)!!!!!
1. Open ASU UPDATER; if you get a dialog box that says an update is available (CLICK NO)
2. Plug in all cables:
- usb to serial adapter- use the 6-pin to 6-pin flat cable
- use the RS323 next to the HBX port.
3. Turn on the scope. As soon as the hand box lights up, (PRESS 999). The scope is now in safe mode and the hand box reads ( DOWNLOADING DO NOT POWER OFF).
4. In the ASU updater click ""CONNECT"". NOTE: At the bottom of the ASU UPDATER BOX you will see a gray bar across the bottom. On the left bottom it should say (READY) and on the right you will see two boxes, (Model:) lx200 gps and (hand box version.: (09a0)
5. Click (Upgrade Autostar software Now). You will now see a box that has’ get info from WWW’. Click on that. At the top of the box you will see (version 4.2G) and drop down list where you can select your scope (LX200 GPS). If it is grayed out and your scope is already selected and you’re good to go. Click OK.
6. You will now get another box that will read ( DO YOU WANT TO SAVE DATA OR PEC yes or no) CLICK NO,
7. You will now see a 3rd and final box just click OK. At this point the firmware (IF ALL WENT WELL) should now be uploading to you scope. This will take about 1.5 to 2 hours depending on connection speed. It is best to have a ""wired connection"" (not wireless) because you may lose wireless connection.
8. When finished, a box will appear Download complete (PRESS OK). Another box will appear (DATA SUCCESSFULLY SENT TO AUTOSTAR) press OK. At this point the hand box will be at the (press mode for menu or 0 to aline)
9. Turn ""OFF"" Scope; Disconnect Cables.
10. Turn ""ON"" Scope and do a test. (NOTE) YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-INPUT THE TIME/DATE STATE AND YOUR INFO (NAME)
That's it - good luck and I Hope this helps. If you have any questions or problems you may call me any time 443-604-7302
****CLEAR SKIES**** Garry Ingle
Howard County Astronomical League
Telescope repairs and Upgrades
Meade LX200 GPS 10" F10
Meade Series 5000 80MM APO triplet F6
Meade Model 320 80MM F11
Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:42 PM
StarPatch from http://www.stargps.ca/pub/setupSP.exe
StarPatch will upload even a SafeLoad LX200gps in about 20 minutes
(far less stress on you than the 1.5 hours of ASU)
If you're in SafeLoad, you may have to manually tell StarPatch (under Options) which flavor of scope you have.
It will then offer both the original (unpatched) ROM file (you want 4.2g for an LX200gps) and/or it will present a tick-list of feature enhancements (and bug fixes) that us users have developed since 4.2g was released.
If you already have a copy of BuildLX4.2g.rom in your Ephemerides folder, you can copy that to
Program Files/Pixsoft/StarPatch so that you don't have to wait for it to be downloaded over the net (again)..
Otherwise, StarPatch is perfectly happy to download it for you.
Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:22 PM
I'm having the same problems as the first post. ASU always has problems for one thing or another! Tried Starpath and keep getting "Write Failed @ page 02x, addr F980x". You tell it to keep going and it just goes down an invisable list of write failures. I've never updated my scope bebore so I'm going from handbox ver: 09a0 to 4.2g.
Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:51 PM
Hope this helps,
Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:25 PM
Thank's, I just noticed your reply. B.T.W., I don't know if you can help me w/ something else but I changed my email and tried to do the reset thing and it didn't work. Got the email verification and did it from my new email and well this is why I didn't see you reply till now. I was planning on reposting this somewhere else thinking this might be a dead thread.
Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:33 PM
I tried to send you and email on the address on file. Let me know if it made it or not.
Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:23 AM
Does anyone know if I should (or how to) reset my scope to factory settings and do all the updates starting with the first (if that is even possable or know where to find them) all the way up to the 4.2g. Instead of going from handbox ver: 09a0 to 4.2g. I'd like to get my scope up and running tonight to watch the triple moon transite on Jupiter.
Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:05 AM
I updated the driver software from the Meade website yesterday. Now I get this:
So accordind to this I'm supposed to actually connect the handbox to my laptop? Of course I tried and of course like I thought no power to handbox so no working. Is there a way to just set my handbox to factory settings like it was before I tried to update it? This is very frustrating to now have a "non-go-to" telescope. Or would it just be better to purchase a new handbox?
Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:36 AM
Something is not right here. If, "like the first post", you have a LX200GPS, there is nothing to upgrade in the handbox. All the software that is upgradable is in the telescope itself. Are you sure you downloaded the right update for the LX200GPS?
Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:44 AM
"PatchLX42ggv19.spf" and "BuildX4.2g.rom" are that is the only thing offered for my telescope. Wether I use the ASU or Starpatch loader program.
Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:37 PM
Well I never got my scope to upload as far as I could tell during my several attempts to make it past 30 percent. I took a chance and started it up like normal and got to the automatic align and everything seems to be working fine and even did the location of my city and two star alignment. I shut it down and started it up again and as a test to make sure the first time wasn't a fluke. I'll do a real test either tonight or on Saturday night cause of rain on the way. If there is no problems I don't think I'll ever attempt an upload again with as much problems I have had.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users