17 replies to this topic

#1 sbbbugsy

sbbbugsy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:31 AM

Equipment: LX200GPS w/Autostar II

I tried to update the software version using ASU and the program just went away (closed itself) after about ten minutes. I restarted the software, but it could not see the handbox. The handbox is now frozen at the copyright screen. I used 9-9-9 to get to safe mode. The ASU recognizes the scope (LX200GPS) and handbox version (09a0) but that's all. When I attempt to update, it keeps losing the connection (says to check or change the cable and restart the scope).

I've tried every available baud rate, new cables, and even StarPatch, but nothing works.

Is my handbox dead or is this a sign that the circuit board in the mount may have a problem?

Thanks

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2364 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:52 AM

Your handbox will need to be reset as when the update didnt complete it locked it up.
I believe to start it in safe mode you press 999 when you power things up .
Ill have to confirm this as I may have it mixed up with the AS 497.

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2364 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

Confirmed
PROBLEM UPLOADING NEW SOFTWARE: If your scope crashes or you lose internet connection while you are uploading a new version of software and your LX200GPS scope locks up, you can get to "Safe" download mode by turning the scope on and immediately pressing 999.
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 arpee79

arpee79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:06 PM

Well I guess I have to revive this old thread.

Im having exact same issue that SBBBugsy had, I can get into safe mode by pressing 9-9-9 and it goes straight to "downloading do not turn off " message and only then will ASU recognize my handbox and will go thru the Updating "sending program" for about 1 1/2 hours . Then once it tries to initialize my handbox it wont detect it says (failed attempt or something make sure handbox is connected) then my hand box reads and stays frozen on the Lx200xxx Version 4.2g .. My scope does not move at all DEAD.

So why can I connect only thru Safe mode but wont update or initialize ????

Operating system Windows 7 ... Going to try windows XP as Joe from Meade said ASU isnt compatible with windows 7.

Thank to anyone thatcan help

#5 PapaJ

PapaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

Check to see if your computer system is set on 64bits or 32 bits.It seems it won't work on 64, of coarse I'm still new at this,so somebody else will probably find something better to fix your problem with.

Jeff
Jeff

#6 arpee79

arpee79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:49 PM

tried again today with Windows XP and had the exact same issue ..  will send program but cant initialize the handbox after sending is completed ...only if its in safe mode , my front control panel is brand new from LX200 ACF scopes.

What else is causing my scope not to initialze at all ?? anyone please ..

Thank You all

#7 meademods

meademods

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

HI ALL, I am new to this fourm. And I have been looking for outher people who have had problums with meade lx200 gps scopes showing Verison# (09a0)  and the hand box is stuck at the menu screen. I have had this same issue and it seems to come from meads new update. Version (5.9.2) this is for the light switch only DO NOT USE THIS UPDATE!!!!! After 3 days of sleepless late night reserch and calling Meade for help. I found the answer.......

OK -  Here are the steps to fix this problem.

"""WARNING""" ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR SCOPE HAS THIS PROBLEM (09a0)!!!!!

1. Open ASU UPDATER; if you get a dialog box that says an update is available (CLICK NO)

2. Plug in all cables:

-        usb to serial adapter- use the 6-pin to 6-pin flat cable

-        use the RS323 next to the HBX port.

3. Turn on the scope.  As soon as the hand box lights up,  (PRESS 999).  The scope is now in safe mode and the hand box reads ( DOWNLOADING DO NOT POWER OFF).

4.  In the ASU updater click ""CONNECT"". NOTE: At the bottom of the ASU UPDATER BOX you will see a gray bar across the bottom. On the left bottom it should say (READY) and on the right you will see two boxes, (Model:) lx200 gps and (hand box version.: (09a0)

5. Click (Upgrade Autostar software Now).  You will now see a box that has’ get info from WWW’. Click on that.  At the top of the box you will see (version 4.2G) and drop down list where you can select your scope (LX200 GPS).  If it is grayed out and your scope is already selected and you’re good to go. Click OK.

6. You will now get another box that will read ( DO YOU WANT TO SAVE DATA OR PEC yes or no) CLICK NO,

7. You will now see a 3rd and final box just click OK. At this point the firmware (IF ALL WENT WELL) should now be uploading to you scope. This will take about 1.5 to 2 hours depending on connection speed. It is best to have a ""wired connection"" (not wireless) because you may lose wireless connection.

8. When finished, a box will appear Download complete (PRESS OK).  Another box will appear (DATA SUCCESSFULLY SENT TO AUTOSTAR) press OK. At this point the hand box will be at the (press mode for menu or 0 to aline)

9. Turn  ""OFF"" Scope; Disconnect Cables.

10.  Turn ""ON"" Scope and do a test. (NOTE) YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-INPUT THE TIME/DATE STATE AND YOUR INFO (NAME)

That's it -  good luck and I Hope this helps. If you have any questions or problems you may call me any time 443-604-7302

****CLEAR SKIES****  Garry Ingle

Howard County Astronomical League  

Telescope repairs and Upgrades

Meade LX200 GPS 10" F10

Meade Series 5000 80MM APO triplet F6

Meade Model 320 80MM F11

Cloudy Nights

Meademods

#8 autostaretx

autostaretx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

You can also update the LX200gps / LX200r /LX200-acf using the free (non-Meade) utility
StarPatch from  http://www.stargps.ca/pub/setupSP.exe

StarPatch will upload even a SafeLoad LX200gps in about 20 minutes
(far less stress on you than the 1.5 hours of ASU)

If you're in SafeLoad, you may have to manually tell StarPatch (under Options) which flavor of scope you have.
It will then offer both the original (unpatched)  ROM file (you want 4.2g for an LX200gps) and/or it will present a tick-list of feature enhancements (and bug fixes) that us users have developed since 4.2g was released.
If you already have a copy of BuildLX4.2g.rom in your Ephemerides folder, you can copy that to
Program Files/Pixsoft/StarPatch  so that you don't have to wait for it to be downloaded over the net (again)..
Otherwise, StarPatch is perfectly happy to download it for you.

good luck
--dick

#9 MaxSpace

MaxSpace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFrisco, Tx.

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

I'm having the same problems as the first post. ASU always has problems for one thing or another! Tried Starpath and keep getting "Write Failed @ page 02x, addr F980x". You tell it to keep going and it just goes down an invisable list of write failures. I've never updated my scope bebore so I'm going from handbox ver: 09a0 to 4.2g.

#10 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2749 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

You might want to send a private message to autostaretx and ask him about the extreme update you are attempting and see if he has any tips. It has been a while since I have seen a post from him here, but he is the expert. A private message will get an email sent to him.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#11 MaxSpace

MaxSpace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFrisco, Tx.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:25 PM

Thank's, I just noticed your reply. B.T.W., I don't know if you can help me w/ something else but I changed my email and tried to do the reset thing and it didn't work. Got the email verification and did it from my new email and well this is why I didn't see you reply till now. I was planning on reposting this somewhere else thinking this might be a dead thread.

Lynn Borel

#12 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2749 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:33 PM

Hi Lynn,

I tried to send you and email on the address on file. Let me know if it made it or not.

Thanks,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#13 MaxSpace

MaxSpace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFrisco, Tx.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:23 AM

Does anyone know if I should (or how to) reset my scope to factory settings and do all the updates starting with the first (if that is even possable or know where to find them) all the way up to the 4.2g. Instead of going from handbox ver: 09a0 to 4.2g. I'd like to get my scope up and running tonight to watch the triple moon transite on Jupiter.

#14 MaxSpace

MaxSpace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFrisco, Tx.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:05 AM

I updated the driver software from the Meade website yesterday. Now I get this:

[/URL]">http://0b62e6da-08c9-4f7e-b716-4e3c12d0f899.jpg

So accordind to this I'm supposed to actually connect the handbox to my laptop? Of course I tried and of course like I thought no power to handbox so no working. Is there a way to just set my handbox to factory settings like it was before I tried to update it? This is very frustrating to now have a "non-go-to" telescope. Or would it just be better to purchase a new handbox?

#15 akjudge

akjudge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:36 AM

Something is not right here.  If, "like the first post", you have a LX200GPS, there is nothing to upgrade in the handbox.  All the software that is upgradable is in the telescope itself.  Are you sure you downloaded the right update for the LX200GPS?

#16 MaxSpace

MaxSpace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFrisco, Tx.

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:44 AM

"PatchLX42ggv19.spf" and "BuildX4.2g.rom" are that is the only thing offered for my telescope. Wether I use the ASU or Starpatch loader program.

#17 MaxSpace

MaxSpace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFrisco, Tx.

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:43 AM

I am using ASU 6.0

#18 MaxSpace

MaxSpace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFrisco, Tx.

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

Well I never got my scope to upload as far as I could tell during my several attempts to make it past 30 percent. I took a chance and started it up like normal and got to the automatic align and everything seems to be working fine and even did the location of my city and two star alignment. I shut it down and started it up again and as a test to make sure the first time wasn't a fluke. I'll do a real test either tonight or on Saturday night cause of rain on the way. If there is no problems I don't think I'll ever attempt an upload again with as much problems I have had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users