6 replies to this topic

#1 leinbach

leinbach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:12 AM

Well, I haven't had so much fun observing the Sun since the days back in the '70s, when I used a spectrohelioscope of my own design.  First brief light with the new double-stacked PST was yesterday. More serious observations made this morning.  With the 20 mm K, I picked up 1 plage area, a filament segment, and several prominences around the limb.  I will try to begin the task of learning how to photograph the Sun this afternoon.

Cheers,

Harold Leinbach
Boulder, Colorado

#2 redvis

redvis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:25 AM

Hi Harold!

Great to see you here on the Meade4M forums.  I have found the doublestacked PST to be an excellent scope both for visual use and for imaging.  I'm glad you seem to be enjoying it!

The sun seems to not be very active these days, unfortunately.  I sure hope it picks up soon - my semester is almost over and I'm going to have plenty of time for solar imaging.

By the way, what kind of mount are you mounting your PST on?

Let us know if you have any questions about solar astrophotography!

Cameran
Meade 4M Solar Advisor

Posted Image

#3 leinbach

leinbach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for your welcome, Cameran. 

I am using an LXD75 mount - it works well with the PST.  Today I ordered a PST sunshade from Scope Stuff - I was taken by its design and simplicity of mounting.  Anyone needing a sunshade would do well to check this one out.

Where are you going to school, and what is your major?

Cheers,
Harold

#4 redvis

redvis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

Hi Harold,

I'm using the LXD 75 with my PST too - it's a great combo.  That sunshade you've ordered for the PST is a nice addition too, it really helps you see more contrast on the disc since it blocks some of that direct sunlight.

Right now I'm going to school at Cal State Fullerton for my masters degree in geography.  My research has actually been on light pollution and its spatial extent.  I've also done research on using solar generated isotopes for dating geomorphic surfaces.  It's kind of neat to be able to tie in my hobbies (astronomy, astrophotography, and solar) to my other great interest - geography!  My thesis will deal with how light pollution propagates using two cities as case studies.  My research proposal for this thesis on light pollution recently won 3rd place in a state-wide graduate research competition, so I'm really excited to start on it!

By the way, anyone looking for the PST sunshade that Harold mentioned can find it here:

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_psts.htm

Hope to see some of your images soon Harold!

Cameran
Meade 4M Solar Advisor

Posted Image

#5 Chewie

Chewie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:30 AM

Hi,

That shade is a top idea thanks for the link. The PST sure is a fun little scope and very easy to use. I find that every time I use it I seem to see more detail, especially surface features.

Mick. 

#6 leinbach

leinbach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:29 PM

Hi Mick and Cameran.  Cameran, congrats on the recognition of your thesis proposal - it sounds like an exciting project, and I look forward to seeing your results in print.

Progress is at a standstill today - cloudy weather again.  I did manage to get the procedure for operating the telescope mount from my Laptop in hand today.  Next clear day, it will be on to photography. I know I will have questions for you soon.

#7 redvis

redvis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:12 PM

Thanks Harold, I'm excited to start!  :'(

Looking forward to your images, feel free to post any questions!

Cameran
Meade 4M Solar Advisor

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users