• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JBeougher

JBeougher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:05 AM

I am unable to view anything through the camera.  When I start the Envisage software I can seen an image but can not tell what I'm looking at.  There is a lot of speckles on the screen.  I've tried to focus the camera from my DS 2114 but nothing changes.  If I shine a light near the front of the scope the image changes.  I've tried setting the gain to 100 and offset 50.  What am I doing wrong? What setting do I need to have.  I've attempted to use the LPI last night outside with the speckles now dark.  I know there is a live view which I think I have set but how often is the live view updated?  I thought the hardest part would be the RS232 to usb connection and setting up the network support.  That was easy. 

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:27 AM

It sounds like your LPI is working .
Remember the CCD chip on the LPI is small so you may not have been on the star you were trying to view.
Its best to center your object in a crosshair eyepiece then install the LPI and focus.
Centering objects and focusing are the hardest part of capturing images.
I always recommend first light on the moon as it is big and easily found on the chip.
Depending on the conditions(bad seeing or unstable atmosphere) this will determin how clear of an image you obtain.
This is why you want to stack many short exposures to get a nice final image.
Depending on the brightness of the target you want the gain to 100 and offset to 50.
Exposure times will vary.
The moon and planets will be .0020 to .0030 approx in exposure time
Bright stars are a little less than a second to about a second.
Every object is different so you will have to play with the exposure times to see what works best for you.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 JBeougher

JBeougher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:59 AM

I was able to image the Moon last night and was decently pleased with the results.  The only complaint I have now is focusing.  I've been looking online "including this site" for a Motorised focuser. I know Meade no longer makes the 1440.  Which is a shame.  Its a bit difficult to slowly bring an image into focus due to the vibrations from turning the knob.  Any suggestion for an alternative or where to find a 1440 Motorised focuser.

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

You may find a focuser from JMI that may work.
Google for JMI or Jims mobile service.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 JBeougher

JBeougher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:55 AM

I talked with one of JMI's builders.  They said that although they don't make a focuser for the DS2114 that if I snapped some pictures and took measurements for my focuser.  He could possible build a motofocuser for my scope.  My only other concern is cost.  I figure a custom built item is not going to be cheap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users